Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Do you have the same seam ripper you had in junior high?

Do you know how to use a seam ripper? I wasn't even going to watch this because, come on, who can't use a seam ripper, you know? Well, live and learn! I'm going to check out the notions department today...see you there.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Folk Art Masterpiece

Cowan's Auctions: The Midwest's Most Trusted Auction House / Antiques / Fine Art / Art Appraisals

Above is the link to look at Carrie N. Phelan's masterpiece quilt that is a chronicle of our nation's history. Lots of close ups to zoom in and see this treasure. This quilt belongs in a museum for all to see. Wish I had $25,000 to bid!

Monday, February 9, 2015

Cabin Fever

I just had to watch this video. I couldn't imagine what she was doing until the end. You won't believe it either. This would be fun for a flannel quilt for a child. Really a beginner project or just something easy to make. Not an heirloom but sort of fun just the same.

Did you ever see the video How to sharpen a pencil? There is a whole book written on the subject. It is hilarious. Well, in fact, there are some tips on sharpening pencils. Here's one for you. Hold the pencil in your non-dominant hand-left hand if you are right handed and vice versa for left handed. Hold the sharpener in your dominant hand, right hand if you are right handed and vice versa for left handed. This is the opposite of the way I would normally sharpen a pencil, but this way will give you a sharper pencil. This is a really good practice for colored pencils, which I always find hard to sharpen.

I'm on month 2 of the Lynette Anderson BOM. This one is a five inch border with a vine and leaves and a flower. I tried a different method for bias stems and I'm not really loving it but it is done now and I am NOT taking it out. I think with the addition of leaves and flowers it will be just fine.

I bought a tripod for my digital camera last week. Yesterday I set it up to take a photo of my BOM so far. The legs of the tripod are very easy to adjust. There are two bubble levels to make sure everything is all set. Okay, good so far. I set it up on my quilting table. Camera on. Okay. Press the button. Oh no, replace batteries flashed on screen. It is Sunday afternoon and we are having (another) snow storm). I'll just have to use my phone camera a little while longer.

Keep stitchin' my quilting friends. Don't let winter get you down! Create Create Create! That's the way to conquer cabin fever when you can't get outside.

Friday, January 30, 2015

January has been a busy month

Month 1 of the Lynette Anderson BOM is done! Well, almost, there is some more embroidery to finish this piece. What a lot of work for one month; it kept me busy that's for sure. Lots of fits and starts and seam ripping and plotting and planning! 

Lynette's quilt calls for nine patches made of nine different fabrics. These blocks finish at 3 inches so I was sewing 1 1/2 inch squares together and I was not happy with the results. The Quilt Show forum I joined suggested using Billie Lauder's method for making nine patches. I got much better results with this method and think I have sufficient variety in my blocks to make an interesting border. 

Have you tried Billie Lauder's way of making nine patches before? The video is from 2011, so this has been around awhile. Sometimes a reminder is good, don't you think?

Had some wooly thread from an embroidery shop and couched it around the outline of sheep. Aren't they cute? I like their little legs, too. 

Can't wait for the February instructions to arrive; I'm ready!

I've been making bags like crazy, too. This one features a cowgirl that I printed on fabric then embellished with beads and embroidery. Vintage lace, buttons, and patchwork for extra goodness.

Another bag, this one with hand embroidery of my own design. 

One wintry afternoon I sat in front of the kitchen fire and embroidered and dreamed of summer. I love pink, coral, and green together.

A few more totebags. No embellishments, the fabrics are enough. These bags are great for toting projects around. They easily hold sock knitting, embroidery, or applique projects.

My great-nephew Max came to visit over Christmas vacation and we had a wonderful day together. This is a pizza we made. Max enjoys baking so we made the dough ourselves. Let me know if you would like the recipe. This is the best dough and sauce I've ever made. Oh, it makes me drool just to think of it!

Max also made white bread that day. Luckily, the recipe made two loaves so he got to take one home to his family.

While waiting for the dough to rise we played board games. What a fun day, thanks Max!