Sunday, September 14, 2014

Folklorica


Do you recognize this quilt panel created by Julie Paschkis for In the Beginning Fabrics? I bought a kit using these blocks from Alewive Fabrics in Damariscotta Mills some time ago. I got the kit out today and decided the time had arrived to make this quilt. When I looked up the fabric line, it apparently came out in 2010. I remember that I bought this kit when Back Roads Quilters was having a retreat weekend at Camp Kieve. And I remember that I wasn't the only one to buy this! What I don't remember is ever seeing a completed quilt so it's nice to know I'm  not the only one who has let my fabric marinate.

There are other panels by Julie Paschkis since this one, but I'm really partial to this one. The blocks feature a fox, a cat, trees, a horse like a Swedish Dala horse, and a turtle. I think Alewive's made up their own design for the kit. Each panel block alternates with a block of 25 2 inch squares. This afternoon I cut the fabrics for these alternate blocks into 2 1/2 inch strips. There is quite a nice variety of fabrics and the reason I think this is an Alewives design is because the fabrics come from different companies, not just In the Beginning Fabrics. I think it's going to be fun to make and just gorgeous when complete.

1 comment:

Mego said...

I always loved this line but never had a clue what to do with it. JUST THIS WEEKEND I was at an outdoor quilt show and they had made rugs using this fabric...it was mod podg'd on plastic in a quilt pattern. Fabulous!